Posted 11/10/15 (Tue)
By Cecile Krimm
Crosby City Council members voted Monday night to reject all bids for the next phase of a sidewalk improvement project and suspend work on another phase of the multi-year project as concern grows for other infrastructure work.
The next phase of the “Safe Routes to School” project would have cost the city $178,000, with grants paying the remaining $378,000 cost to extend walkways from the community center to the hospital, along ND 5. However, recent televising of sewer lines has identified bigger concerns.
“I don’t think they could run the camera through even one entire block. I think we have a lot more pressing needs we could use the money for at this time,” said Mayor Bert Anderson.
The council undertook the televising project earlier this fall in preparation for a major street project in the spring. They don’t want to put new paving over broken pipe.
Engineer Bill Moonie said the report shows cracked pipes, broken and missing pipes, sewer laterals pushed into the main, lots of tree roots that have infiltrated the lines, and areas where water infiltration is bringing minerals into the lines leading to build up and blockage.
He said a new type of sewer liner, rather than pipe replacement, may be effective in addressing some of the issues.
“It looks pretty promising for saving a lot of money on the project,” he said.
Community Developer KayCee Lindsey told the council business owners are looking for guidance on how they will operate during the street, sewer and sidewalk project.
Anderson told her that communication will come, but later this winter, once the project is designed and bid.
In other business, the council: